2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 30, 2019 2:24 PM by Darin Dagwood Dacus

Looking for information about U.S. Navy Lockheed Neptune P2V crash

Phil Nordhus Newbie

Looking for information about a U.S. Navy Lockheed Neptune P2V that crashed on Sept 22, 1957 in the Desatoya Mountain region in Nevada. I have a news clipping from an unknown source and date.  I also have a preflight form that I believe was for this flight.  Both are attached (2 images).  Any information about this crash or advice on where to search is very much appreciated.  Thank you.

Newspaper clipping about flight, including dead and injured.Preflight Form - BackPreflight Form - Front

• Re: Looking for information about U.S. Navy Lockheed Neptune P2V crash
          Becca Simons Scout

Dear Mr. Nordhus,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

U.S. Navy aircraft accident reports, 1920 through 1972, are in the custody of the Naval Aviation History Branch, Naval History & Heritage Command, 805 Kidder Breese Street, SE, Washington Navy Yard, Washington, DC 20374-5060. Their email address is archives@navy.mil. The reports are a record of operational losses and normally do not include combat losses. Requesters must have the type of aircraft and date of the accident in order to obtain a copy of the report, which are available only on microfilm.

We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck on your research!

4 people found this helpful
          • Re: Looking for information about U.S. Navy Lockheed Neptune P2V crash
            Darin Dagwood Dacus Newbie

Phil

While hiking in the Desatoya Range in Nevada east of Fallon NAS my friend and I came across an aircraft crash site near the summit of Desatoya Peak. From our knowledge of aircraft we could tell it was an older aircraft with twin air cooled radial engines. It is located at 9800' in a saddle between Desatoya Peak 9973' and Twin Peak 9965'. The site itself is highly decayed and due to weather and runoff and many pieces have fallen down the upper Smith Creek Canyon and become partially buried. I have photos of the crash site and some information on the crash. Your post helped put a few more pieces of the puzzle together. I also sent a request to the Naval Archives for a copy of the incident report. I'll keep you posted.

Dagwood

1 person found this helpful