3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 3, 2019 1:39 PM by rsimons

Looking for records about Donald Wells who served in New Caledonia, WWII

Looking for info on a Donald Wells (American serviceman, branch unknown) who served in New Caledonia (Plaine des Gaiacs, Pouembout) in 1943-44, roughly.  May have been from Chicago...   Any ideas how I could find a list of US service branches and/or servicemen who served there at that time?

• Re: Looking for records about Donald Wells who served in New Caledonia, WWII
          Elliot Schneider Navigator

Gwendolyn,

Maybe if you can provide a little more information regarding individual such as a middle name, date of birth or place of birth. The only lists that would be available for lists would be rosters of units which they served but you would need unit information. Secondly, not all rosters are available I believe most rosters from 1944-1945 were destroyed in accordance to retention periods back then. Chance are you will not find actual rosters. Many units have historians that produced unit books after ww2. Many contain the names of individuals that served with those units, but you would really need to know the unit he served with.

Do you have any letters or correspondence from him or to the family.

Thanks,

Elliot Schneider

1 person found this helpful

Hi Elliot,

Thanks for your answer!  Unfortunately, that's all the information I have.  That's why I was hoping to find a list of what American units were based at Plaine des Gaiacs, in Pouembout, New Caledonia in 1943 and '44, because then I would have an idea of which units' rosters to check....  This is one of those wartime romance stories, and a child resulted in April of 1944, so counting backwards that puts Donald Wells there for at least the summer of 1943.    And the only origin information we have for this Donald Wells is Chicago -- don't even know if that's where he was born or where he was living prior to joining the military!   But New Caledonia is not a big island, so there couldn't have been too many different units stationed there in the summer of 1943 -- at least, that's what I'm hoping. 

Thanks again,

Wendy Fassett

Scout

Dear Ms. Fassett,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

Official Military Personnel Files (OMPFs) and individual medical reports for those who served in the U.S. Armed Forces prior to 1957 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. Many Army and Army Air Corps personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, but proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002.

We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your research!