6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 26, 2019 2:45 PM by Yvonne Edeker

getting a copy of my naturalization papers

Ramon Tomaino Newbie

need to know how to get a copy of my naturalization papers

• Re: getting a copy of my naturalization papers
          Becca Simons Scout

Dear Mr. Tomaino,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS, formerly the Immigration and Naturalization Service) can issue replacement copies of certificates of citizenship and verify citizenship. Please download and complete their request form to send by mail or online.

We hope this information is helpful.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
              Star McGivern Newbie

I tried that and sent the information, as well as a copy of a current U.S. passport.  But the USCIS only replaces certificates if one knows the Alien registration # and date.  It does not replace any certificate older than 20 years.

I sent $550 and all my information and received a letter asking for the above.  I've reached a dead end.  A congressional aide suggested a contact a genealogy society, and I'm going to the National Archives tomorrow.

When I contacted the Archives, I received an email suggesting that I check history hub.   I'm also going to the passport section in the State Dept. tomorrow.

I need to find someone to search the microfilm and microfiche during those dates from l976-78, but don't know where one is to start.   I don't know if one is allowed to contact someone to hire through this site or not.  

Any ideas?  The USCIS reply was a disappointment.   I couldn't be the only person trying to find a certificate

dating back 45 years.  I hope someone has experienced this kind of search and can give me a lead and help.

THANK You. Star Mcgivern

Star McGivern Newbie

Dear Romon,

I would be interested in hearing how you have tried to get this information.

Star Mcgivern

Star McGivern Newbie

Dear Ramon,

I went to the State Dept. passport office yesterday with my daughter's l978 diplomatic passport.  There was nothing in their system.  I went to National Archives in DC, and was told that since we lived in Vienna, VA, at that time, that the information was stored in a facility in PA.  I am contacting that facility.  I also got as list of researchers from the national archives website and will contact a few of those.  The USCIS is not helpful unless you already know your A number, and it doesn't track anything earlier than 20 years and refers you to the national archives.  The people at the archives were helpful.  NO luck for me so far.  Star

Yvonne Edeker Newbie

Ramon,

I too am a naturalized citizen. I am almost 60 (I was naturalized at 15, as a minor, with my parents) and needed a copy of my naturalization papers for my son's security clearances.  I did not have my alien registration number.  I did have a U.S. passport.  I served in the U.S. military, and with my DD214, was able to receive a copy of my naturalization certificate.  It took about a year and cost nothing because of my military service. I did, however, have to attend a naturalization ceremony to get the actual certificate in my hands. (That was a funny day. All the people being naturalized that day were kids. I suppose since I'd been a child when I was first naturalized, I was included in the children's group).

I'm assuming, because of the sailor hat on your profile picture, that you also served in the U.S. military. Free help is available to you - here https://immigrationforum.org/article/essentials-of-naturalization-for-military-service-members-and-veterans/

I'll check my files to see exactly which form I filled out, and report back to you.

Yvonne

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    Yvonne Edeker Newbie

Ramon,

Regarding my previous post...the form I filled out to obtain a my naturalization papers was N-600.

There is no fee for military veterans, and I attached a copy of my DD214 to prove military service when I mailed the application.

Yvonne