1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 6, 2019 9:11 AM by Becca Simons

    Seeking service information for Billy Joe Berryhill


      Billy Joe Berryhill is my step father's name and he died a few years back.  I need to find when he served in the military so my mother can apply for the benefits she desperately needs.  She is now in an assisted living complex.  My step father would be approximately 86 years old.

        • Re: Seeking service information for Billy Joe Berryhill

          Dear Mr. Hughes,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          Official Military Personnel Files (OMPFs) and individual medical reports for those who served in

          the U.S. Armed Forces after 1956 are in the custody of NARA’s National Personnel Records

          Center in St. Louis. Many Army and Air Force personnel records were destroyed in the 1973

          fire, but proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls,

          and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Navy & Marine Corps

          OMPFs were not affected. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA’s

          National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis,

          MO 63138-1002.


          We also searched on Ancestry and found a Billy Berryhill born in 1933 and a Billy Berryhill born in 1932. To view these records on Ancestry, there may be a fee. Or you may view these records online at one NARA's facilities for free via ALIC. For the nearest NARA location, please consult our web page at https://www.archives.gov/locations/. Also, some of the images from Ancestry are available for free on Family Search at https://www.familysearch.org/en/.)


          We hope this information is helpful.

          1 person found this helpful