1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 4, 2019 11:29 AM by Becca Simons

Seeking information on Joseph Reardon Garcia

I would like to find more information on  my dad, Joseph Reardon Garcia, while he was in the service. I know he served in the Air Force as well as in the Military Police. He was born 05/30/1923 and died 8/12/94. What town or where he is buried? I really don't know the branch of the service. He did remarry and have other step family members.

• Re: Seeking information on Joseph Reardon Garcia
          Becca Simons Scout

Dear Darjeeling McKinley,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the Nationwide Gravesite Locator but were unable to locate your father. We also searched Find A Grave and found two entries with similar birth and death dates to your father, although not a match: a Joseph Garcia buried in California and a Joseph Garcia buried in West Virginia. Both served in the U.S. Navy.

We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPF and individual medical reports for those who served in the U.S. Armed Forces and were separated from the service prior to 1955 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where Army Air Corps personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Navy OMPFs were not affected by the fire. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002.

We hope this information is helpful.