1 Reply Latest reply on May 28, 2019 10:56 AM by Jason Atkinson

Application for Veteran Headstone

I have a death certificate for a person buried in our Salem East Cemetery in Salem, Iowa and for some reason they have him listed as a Veteran and there is not a marker or headstone that states this. I have checked the Veterans Affairs Nationwide Gravesite Locator without success and newspaper articles do not state anything about being a Veteran. How do I look him up to verify and apply for a military headstone?

• Re: Application for Veteran Headstone
          Jason Atkinson Pioneer

Dear Mr. Stewart,

Thank you for posting your request to History Hub!

The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) furnishes, upon request and at no charge to the applicant, a government headstone or marker for the unmarked grave of any deceased eligible Veteran in any cemetery around the world, regardless of their date of death. If the Veteran served on or after April 6, 1917, and the grave is marked with a private headstone or marker, the Veteran may be eligible for a medallion.

Please visit the National Cemetery Administration webpage to download the VA Form 40-1330, Claim for Standard Government Headstone or Marker or VA Form 40-1330M, Claim for Government Medallion and to obtain additional information about the VA headstone and marker program, including information about the available headstone, marker and medallion types and styles.

The exact procedures for obtaining proof of military service varies depending on which branch of the armed forces the veteran served in and when he was discharged.  Please see the National Archives and Records Administration’s web page entitled Request Your Military Service Records for more details.

We hope this information is useful.

3 people found this helpful