2 Replies Latest reply on May 23, 2019 1:24 PM by Rebecca Collier

What did Henry T Orr do to earn Bronze Star?

My father, Henry T Orr (serial number 17034165) served in Sq. A, 383rd [Bomb Group?] Army Air Force and won the Bronze Star, I am looking for the reason he won it. He never talked to me about the war. According to his discharge paper work, he was a Guard Patrolman (522) and Military Policeman (677). He was involved in the Anti Submarine Battles and Campaigns. His Decorations and Citations is American Theater with one Bronze Star. I haven't been able to find any more information.

• Re: What did Henry T Orr do to earn Bronze Star?
          Elliot Schneider Navigator

Michael,

Please contact the Missouri Secretary of State, they have archives section that deals with military veterans. They told me to email them information regarding your father, and to be specific as possible dateof birth, ss#, service#, and full name including middle name and send to the following email address. All this information is available through third party genealogy sites so you should not have an issues getting all the information you need.

archref@sos.mo.gov

PS......

This is not NPRC this is the state of Missouri State Veterans office ran through the Secretary of States office. Most times you can find service papers were they returned home and registered with the state.

1 person found this helpful
          • Re: What did Henry T Orr do to earn Bronze Star?
            Rebecca Collier Ranger

Dear Mr. Orr,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

The National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) has custody of microfilm copies of operational records relating to U.S. Army Air Force units.  We searched the index to the microfilm and located records of the 383rd Bomb Group on Reel B0737, Frames 171 - 1297. Frames 1031-1297 include personnel rosters and some special orders. For access to the microfilm, please contact RDT2 via email at archives2@nara.gov. Parts of the reel may be difficult to read.

Since the microfilm does not include general orders for the 383rd and the Air Force Historical Research Agency (AFHRA) has custody of the original paper records, we suggest you contact the AFHRA, 600 Chennault Circle, Building 1405, Maxwell Air Force Base, AL  36112-6424. The web site is https://www.afhra.af.mil/.

We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

2 people found this helpful