1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 3, 2019 10:43 AM by Rebecca Collier

Looking for Navy Muster Rolls, WWII

How can I find my grandparents Muster Rolls in U.S. Navy from either out of ports of call in San Diego & Long Beach, or their Naval Record #'s on Muster Rolls?

I know my grandfather was a U.S. Navy doctor in Iwo Jima during February of 1943, I have no idea what Battle Ship and/or Aircraft Carrier he was assigned to.  His last name was Hafer. He is originally from Illinois and/or records of origin also in Arizona.

His future wife, was a Navy Nurse, she was in Ports of Call in San Diego and Long Beach, I have no idea where else.  She served from: 1939-1945 i believe her last name was Tikey. She was originally from Pennsylvania.

My paternal grandfather, who was a photographer for a B-17 Bomber Squadron Unit, was Army Air Corp. I have no idea of his ranking/title, other than he was enlisted.  I believe he served in both Europe as well as South Pacific from: 1939-1947.  His last name was Russell, he was born/raised in California.

• Re: Looking for Navy Muster Rolls, WWII
          Rebecca Collier Ranger

Dear Ms. Russell,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We suggest that you begin by requesting their Official Military Personnel Files (OMPFs). OMPFs and individual medical reports for those who served in the U.S. Armed Forces prior to 1955 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. Many Army Air Corps personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, but proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a separate GSA Standard Form 180 for each and mail them to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002.

Once you know the units in which your grandparents served, you will be able to request Navy Muster Rolls and unit records. Once you know the unit your paternal grandfather to which he was assigned, we may be able to locate information about his unit.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

2 people found this helpful