2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 30, 2020 9:43 PM by Grace Yuhasz

Seeking information about Geza Kiss or Iren Hagynek 1956

I'm looking for birth or marriage documents that would have been created between 1956 - 1968 for my parents.  My parents had no paperwork when they left Hungary and stated that they were processed in Austria between October to December in 1956. 

They were Hungarian refugees who left Hungary after the Hungarian Revolution in October of 1956.  They arrived in the U.S. between December of 1956 and January of 1957.

My dad: Geza Kiss was born February 25, 1922 in Balatonoszod, Hungary.

My mom:  Iren Hagyanek was born May 30, 1929 in Keleviz, Hungary.

• Re: Seeking information about Geza Kiss or Iren Hagynek 1956
          Rebecca Collier Ranger

Dear Ms. Cooke,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located 3 series about the Hungarian refugees in the Records of the Immigration and Naturalization Service (Record Group 85). For access to these series, please contact the National Archives at Washington, DC (RDT1) via email at archives1reference@nara.gov.

We also located 12 series in the U.S. Army and State Department records regarding the Hungarian refugees. For access to these series, please contact the National Archives at College Park (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov.

We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

2 people found this helpful
          • Re: Seeking information about Geza Kiss or Iren Hagynek 1956
            Grace Yuhasz Adventurer

Were you asking how to order records from Hungary? 

Hungarian civil registration began in 1895 (before that date, records were kept by churches).  The Hungarian Embassy has a page which tells about how to order a birth or marriage record.  I don’t know if there is a restriction on what years can be ordered.  If the page needs translation into English, hit the British flag symbol next to the search bar on the upper right corner.

https://washington.mfa.gov.hu/eng/page/obtaining-certificates-from-hungary

(I have never ordered any myself so am not sure how it goes.  There may be a person/organization/social media group that could give you give you more information about this.)

The forms require specific information.  I found a few documents that may help you fill them out.  (You may already have these.)

From Ancestry.com

Geza Kiss in the U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007

Name:

Geza Kiss
            [Geza Kish]

Male

Race:

White

Birth Date:

25 Feb 1922

Birth Place:

Balstonozrso, Hungary
            [Balatonoszod, Hungary]

Death Date:

17 Dec 1989

Father:

Sandor Kiss

Mother:

Vilma Gondocs

SSN:

Notes:

Feb 1957: Name listed as GEZA KISS; 26 Jun 1987: Name listed as GEZA KISH

From FamilySearch.org (you need to sign up for a free account to access). 

Click on the image. The form is 2 pages so make sure to check the next page, as well.

Geza Kiss Petition for Naturalization -- Massachusetts, United States Naturalization Records

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QPH1-LNMC

Irene Kish Petition for Naturalization -- Massachusetts, United States Naturalization Records

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QPCM-M1NB

BalatonĹ‘szöd and Kelevíz are both in the megye (county) of Somogy.  FamilySearch has a lot of Hungarian civil registration records but, according to their catalog, they don’t have the ones you need, either online or on microfilm.

Happy Hunting!

1 person found this helpful