3 Replies Latest reply on May 22, 2019 12:45 PM by Rebecca Collier

    Seeking records about Pvt Royal Thompson, WWI


      Hello there..! I am inquiring about trying to find the identity of a World War I soldier. I went to a flea market the other day here in my home state of Connecticut, and one of the vendors had some WWI Army stripes and US pin for sale, along with a trench mirror in it's original cloth/material case. Bought the items, and upon inspecting them later on that night, I discovered that there was writing on the cloth case of the trench mirror... it says the following:


      Pvt Royal A Thompson

      60th Inf Hq Co

      Wounded July 5, 1918 and Sept. 25, 1918

      arrived in France in April on S.S Baltic

      War ended Nov 10 at 11 am


      I have tried a few different sites trying to find anything about this soldier, have found a few names of Royal Thompson or with Royal Thompson and a middle name with A (Arthur etc), but have been unable to find along with these names, any Infantry info or the like to confirm the identity. Please if anyone can assist, I would be beyond grateful; have almost developed a kinship with him now at this stage...just want to honor him, and all that he did for our country...


      Thank you for your time in reading this...

      - Dee

        • Re: Seeking records about Pvt Royal Thompson, WWI
          Elliot Schneider Ranger



          Here is a little bit more his Name is Royal Alton Thompson service # 2381949. He was born in 1894 in New Hampshire. He was drafted and actually left for France in April 16th 1918 on the ship Calamares leavingfrom Hobeken New Jersey. He is listed with HQ Company 60th Infantry. According to documents he was listed AWOL on the ships manifest on the Calamares not sure if this was an error but somehow he was seen on another ships logs of the Baltic showing a departure in April 25th of 1918 from New York listed with Casual Dept 5th Div Co 3.

          Mr. Thompson is last  seen on the ship Finlands logs listed as med/ surgery sick wounded leaveing St. Nazaire France in Dec 1918. My guess is according to these logs that he was schedule to leave on the 16th of April 1918 but somehow went AWOL returned to military control then actually leaving on the 25th of April 1918 from New York cause he missed the original departure on the 16th. He may have had issues with traveling from New Hampshire to make his orginal departure, listing as AWOL. He was injured because of the third ship relating to sick and wounded on the ship Findland. Hope this helps.





          Elliot Schneider

          1 person found this helpful
          • Re: Seeking records about Pvt Royal Thompson, WWI
            Rebecca Collier Ranger

            Dear Ms. Lang,


            Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


            We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the series titled Records of Divisions, 1917 - 1920 in the Records of the American Expeditionary Forces (World War I) (Record Group 120). Under the 5th Division section, there are records of the 60th Infantry Regiment (Boxes 24-26). We also located a series titled Records of the 1st Through 338th and the 559th Infantry Regiment, 1/1/1916 - 12/31/1921 in the Records of U.S. Regular Army Mobile Units (Record Group 391) that includes records of the 60th as well and possibly records of the Headquarters Company. For access to and/or copies of these records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov.


            If you have not yet requested his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF), we suggest that you do. OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and prior to 1955 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. 


            We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your research!


            2 people found this helpful