1 Reply Latest reply on May 16, 2019 12:41 PM by Rebecca Collier

    Seeking DD-214s for WWII veterans not related to me


      I would like to obtain the DD214 form for enlisted veterans and the WD AGO 53 or 280 for officer veterans. With this information I develop a short bio about the veteran to place along with a photograph on the World War II Memorial Web Site. I am not a relative of these veterans but a friend of their family.

        • Re: Seeking DD-214s for WWII veterans not related to me
          Rebecca Collier Ranger

          Dear Mr. O’Keefe,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          Official Military Personnel Files (OMPFs) and individual medical reports for officers of the U.S. Armed Forces who were separated from the service prior to 1956 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where Army and Army Air Corps personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a separate GSA Standard Form 180 for each veteran and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002.


          Since the records are considered “archival,” there should not be a requirement that the requester is the next of kin or close relative. There may be a fee and certain information in the OMPF may not be available to the general public.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

          2 people found this helpful