1 Reply Latest reply on May 16, 2019 10:42 AM by Rebecca Collier

Seeking records for 'A' Displaced Persons Assembly Centre, 46th Refugee Camp

Veronica Gilbert Newbie

Hello

I have a telegram concerning my late father's promotion at the above place 25 February 1946. I have a photo taken Modena in uniform, and we were told he helped with displaced persons at the end of the war and at some point was in a property belong to the late Count Ciano. He was very good at languages so think this is why he was there involved possibly in interviews. The Telegram has a TEL: VALJEAN 144 and headed Central Headquarters 2nd Echelon Central Mediterranean Forces. He was working with some titled lady whose name we cannot recall, could have been a Baroness? The telegram is signed by Lieut Brigadier ?? Robertson.

Any knowledge would be much appreciated.

I am also in possession of a brown leather folder with a coat of arms and "Cronache della Guerra" (spelling may be wrong). We were told it belonged to Count Ciano!!! I think it is a coat of arms of the Italian Army. Where should I take this to for assistance please?

Thanks for any help.

• Re: Seeking records for 'A' Displaced Persons Assembly Centre, 46th Refugee Camp
          Rebecca Collier Ranger

Dear Ms. Gilbert,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives (US) Catalog and located 34 series relating to the United Nations Relief and Rehabilitation Administration (UNRRA). The records may include information on American and British efforts to assist displaced persons at the end of WWII.

Since the Central Headquarters, 2nd Echelon, Central Mediterranean Forces was a British unit, we suggest you contact The National Archives of the United Kingdom, Kew, Richmond, Surrey, TW9 4DU, United Kingdom and/or the Imperial War Museum, Lambeth Road, London SE1 6HZ, England.

For information about the Italian artifact, please contact the Ministero della Difesa-Esercito, Direzione Generale dei Servize di Commissariato e Amministrativi, Via XX Settembre No. 11, Rome, Italy. The web site is https://www.difesa.it/Pagine/default.aspx.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

2 of 2 people found this helpful