1 Reply Latest reply on May 17, 2019 11:19 AM by Rebecca Collier

Seeking records about Jehu John W Pitts, SC 1813

Anna GREER Newbie

I am seeking a document (birth, will or morality index) to prove parentage of Jehu John W Pitts (son) b. 1813 South Carolina to Jehu and Mary Teague Pitts.  Mary Pitts died in 1836 in SC and Jehu sr married Rebecca the widow Goggans.  Jehu jr married Mariah Beeks, daughter of Frank Beeks in SC in about 1832.  Both Jehu's moved to Pontotoc Co, MS in about 1840-1842 and were members of the Cherry Creek Baptist Church.  Jehu sr died there in 1850 and Jehu jr died in 1884.  Both are buried in the Cherry Creek Cemetery with Rebecca and Mariah..  Jehu sr's second wife Rebecca Goggans Pitts collected a Military land warrant (55052) in his name in 1860.

I have not been able to find a service record for either Jehu and as far as I can tell sr owned no property when he died.  I have searched Pontotoc Co probate records but was not able to locate a probate record for Jehu sr.  There was a family Bible but it has been lost since the 1970's.  The DAR rejected my supplement requiring more proof of the father/son relationship.