1 Reply Latest reply on May 17, 2019 8:29 AM by Rebecca Collier

    Seeking petition number for naturalization paper


      How do I obtain a petition number in order to get a copy of a Naturalization record?

        • Re: Seeking petition number for naturalization paper
          Rebecca Collier Ranger

          Dear Mr. Greco,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          Researchers are not required to provide a petition number when placing a request to the National Archives (NARA) for naturalization records.  If you know which state the individual resided in at the time they naturalized, please contact the NARA facility that has custody of court records for that area. In your request, please provide the individual’s full name (and any known variants), city/state of residence, and include information about when you think the naturalization may have occurred, if you know it.  Additionally, please provide basic biographical information about the individual such as date of birth, country of origin, and name of spouse/children as that can aid in assisting staff in cases where there may be multiple people with the same (or similar) names.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck in your family research!


          [Information provided by Elizabeth Burnes, Subject Matter Expert]


          2 people found this helpful