3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 19, 2021 1:36 AM by Jean-Loup Gassend

Roster of 66th Armored Regiment, WWII

David Butenschoen Newbie

Is there a roster of the men who served in the 66th Armored Regiment, 2nd Armored Division during WWII? I have a " History of the 67th Armored Regiment "and it has a wonderful roster in back that I use all the time. But the 66th Armored Regiment didn't publish a history..  Thank you for any help.

• Re: Roster of 66th Armored Regiment, WWII
          Rebecca Collier Ranger

Dear Mr. Butenschoen,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the World War II Operations Reports, 1940-1948 in the Records of the Adjutant General's Office, 1905-1981 (Record Group 407) and located a 63-page history of the 66th Armored Regiment that includes lists of casualties but not of the entire unit. For access to and/or copies of the history, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov.

Copies of most of the monthly rosters from 1912-43 and 1947-59 for Army units (including Army Air Corps) are in the custody of the National Archives at St. Louis (RL-SL). For access to these records, please contact the National Archives at St. Louis, ATTN: RL-SL, P.O. Box 38757, St. Louis, MO 63138-0757 or via email at stl.archives@nara.gov. Rosters for units serving in World War II from 1944-46 were destroyed in accordance with Army disposition authorities.

We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

3 people found this helpful
            Jean-Loup Gassend Newbie

Mr Butenschoen. I am trying to research a 2nd Armored Division soldier.

Jean-Loup Gassend Newbie

Mr Butenschoen. I am trying to research a 2nd Armored Division soldier, who lost his helmet in Contoire Hamel, France, on 1 sept 1944. His laundry number, C-0757 is written in the helmet. This number could correspond to about 50 WWII US soldiers. In order to find out who this soldier was, I am looking for all the men with a name starting with C that served in the 2nd Armored Division, to compare it with all the men whose laundry number was C-0757. Would it be possible for you to provide me with photos of the pages of the rosters of the 2nd Division for the letter C?

You can see the helmet here:  http://researchww2.blogspot.com/  (to find it on the page, look for "C-0757")

Thank you