1 Reply Latest reply on May 13, 2019 11:04 AM by Rebecca Collier

Seeking Action Reports for 9th Infantry Regiment, 1944

Jim Hanson Newbie

Hi,

My daughter and I are writing a book on my Dad's WWII service for our family and I would like to find the following: Action Reports for the 2nd Division 9th Regiment. 3rd Battalion L Company. He was a squad leader and I am looking for the Action Reports from June 7 - July 1944 and December 1 -31 1944. We are planning on visiting the National Archives at College Park, Maryland on June 6-7 2019 and was wondering if they would have them. Also any other sources that would have information on my dad's unit would be very appreciated! What information of my dad's besides his unit and serial # do I need to have for my research?

Thank you,

Jim Hanson

• Re: Seeking Action Reports for 9th Infantry Regiment, 1944
          Rebecca Collier Ranger

Dear Mr. Hanson,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the We searched the World War II Operations Reports, 1940-1948 in the Records of the Adjutant General's Office, 1905-1981 (Record Group 407) and located after action reports of the 9th Infantry Regiment (INRG), 2nd Infantry Division for June 1944 through May 1945. We were unable to locate specific records of Company L and/or 3rd Battalion of the 9th INRG.  Records of lower echelon units sometimes were incorporated into the files of the regiment.

These records are located at the National Archives at College Park. The address is 8601 Adelphi Road, College Park, MD, near the University of Maryland--College Park campus.

--Textual Research Room (Room 2000) hours are 8:45 a.m. to 5:45 p.m. Monday through Friday, except legal holidays.

--RDT2 consultation room hours are 8:45 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday, except legal holidays. No appointment is necessary.

--Records are retrieved Monday through Friday for use in the Textual Research Room at 9:30 a.m., 10:30 a.m., 11:30 a.m., 1:00 p.m., 2:00 p.m., and 3:00 p.m. We do not pull in advance.

--Prior to your visit, please consult NARA’s website at https://www.archives.gov/dc-metro/college-park/, https://www.archives.gov/dc-metro/self-service-copying.html, and https://www.archives.gov/research/start/getting-started.pdf.

Please use this information when you fill out your Reference Service Request Slip (Pull SLIP): RG 407, NM-3 427, File # 302-INF(9)-0.3, Box 5360 when you come to the National Archives at College Park. Additional records of the 9th INRG are available for viewing. Check the WWII Operations Reports binders in the consultation room for the specific file numbers needed to request the records.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

2 of 2 people found this helpful