2 Replies Latest reply on May 13, 2019 1:32 PM by Rebecca Collier

Seeking information on Philip T Turner, 1817

Sonja Gandy Newbie

I am seeking a document (birth, will or morality index) to prove parentage of Philip T Turner (son) b. 1817 Hancock Co., GA to Elisha Parker Turner and Nancy Ross Turner.  Elisha and Nancy lived in Hancock County and died in Crawford County.  Elisha passed in 1858 and Nancy in 1875.  There is a will for Nancy but the only child mentioned is Jacob P Turner.

• Re: Seeking information on Philip T Turner, 1817
          Henry Rosenberg Adventurer

I can't find direct evidence. There is a Philip T Turner in the 1860 census who lived in Mississippi. In the census it lists an Elisha P Turner as a son.This may or may not be your family. Was Philip's wife Anna? Also, it may help to know when he died because death certificates sometimes list the parents. This census lists an Elisha P Turner as a son which makes sense because he would have been named for the father shortly after he died.

I figured my great great grandfather's name by knowing approx. when he died and that my great grandfather named his first son after him. I had no direct evidence but had to piece it together.

From familysearch.org

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M6GC-6LT

Good luck,

Henry

2 of 2 people found this helpful
          • Re: Seeking information on Philip T Turner, 1817
            Rebecca Collier Ranger

Dear Ms. Gandy,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

Since Hancock County birth records consistently were recorded beginning in 1927 and Crawford County death records consistently were recorded beginning in 1919, other types of records such as probate records or wills; cemetery records; church records; newspapers; and census records should be searched for possible dates of birth and death.

The Georgia State Archives and the Georgia Historical Society have guides and/or collections that may be useful.

We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

[Information provided by Elizabeth Burnes, Subject Matter Expert]

2 of 2 people found this helpful