2 Replies Latest reply on May 13, 2019 7:29 AM by Ken Fraser

WW2 US Forces Stationed in Devon, England

Ken Fraser Newbie

Dear History Hub,

I am researching which US Forces Unit was stationed in and around our village of Ipplepen, Devon, England in the build up to the Normandy Invasion in June 1944. The previous owner of the house called The Elms, on East Street, Ipplepen, Devon has described the US Soldiers living in her barn and stables. She also talks about them building a small chimney in the roof of the barn. I would be very keen to discover which unit was based in our village so I can follow their progress on to the beaches of Normandy and through France. I am a college lecturer in Devon and my students visit Normandy every year to visit the beaches monuments and pay their respects to the fallen.  If at all possible I would really like to find out the names of the individuals living in the barn and stables so we can follow their progress and pay our respects to them in person if we can find out who they are and where in Normandy they are buried. I would appreciate any help at all in identifying where I should direct my enquiries. Many thanks

• Re: WW2 US Forces Stationed in Devon, England
          Rebecca Collier Ranger

Dear Mr. Fraser,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located a series titled Station Lists, 1942 - 1953 in the Records of the Adjutant General's Office (Record Group 407). The lists are arranged by theater [such as European Theater of Operations (ETO)] and thereunder by date. The lists are generally monthly or biweekly.  Each list is arranged by type of unit and thereunder in order by unit name or number. The nearest town is listed for each unit. There are 13 lists for ETO from 7 January 1944 through 21 June 1944 while in the United Kingdom.

For access to these lists, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov.

We hope this information is useful. Best of luck with your research!

2 of 2 people found this helpful