2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 21, 2020 5:53 PM by Don Dillon

Seeking photo of Army unit that captured Sielsdorf, Germany in March 1945

I am trying to find a photo taken of an Army unit in Germany in 1945. Specifically, it's a photo of an Army patrol unit that was part of the 8th Division of the 121st Infantry after they captured Sielsdorf, Germany on or around March 11, 1945. The unit was led by Lt. Lawrence Grover, and they were known as "Grover's Ghosts." I've found a copy of the image on a Facebook page but haven't had any luck contacting the person who posted it, and my searches on the Archives online catalogue have come up empty.  Any guidance you can provide would be greatly appreciated!

• Re: Seeking photo of Army unit that captured Sielsdorf, Germany in March 1945
          Rebecca Collier Ranger

Dear Mr. Bentley,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the World War II Operations Reports, 1940-1948 in the Records of the Adjutant General's Office, 1905-1981 (Record Group 407) and located after action reports and journals & files for July 1944 to May 1945 of the 121st Infantry Regiment, 8th Infantry Division (ID). We also searched the historical records of the 8th ID but we were unable to locate photographs in either unit’s records.

Official photographs of various U.S. Army, Navy, and Marine Corps activities dating from 1940 to 2007 are in the custody of the National Archives at College Park - Still Pictures (RDSS). Please contact RDSS via email at stillpix@nara.gov and their web site is https://www.archives.gov/dc-metro/college-park/photographs-dc.html.

We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

2 people found this helpful
          • Re: Seeking photo of Army unit that captured Sielsdorf, Germany in March 1945
            Don Dillon Newbie

F. Bentley, I believe I have a copy of the picture you are seeking regarding Grover’s Ghosts.  I would be happy to share it with you in return for any additional information you may have regarding Grover’s Ghosts or 121st Infantry, 2nd Battalion, Fox Company.  My Grandfather belonged to Fox and joined the 78th Infantry in 1943...and later joined 8th ID, 121st stateside before going to England.  He stayed within Fox Company from July 6th landing in France, Dinard, Brest, Crozan, Luxembourg, and then Huertgen.  He was wounded Nov 21 at Huertgen and shipped to Paris and then England.  Just found out that he rejoined the regiment sometime early 1945 and carried out the war until VE Day.  I believe he is pictured within the photo you are requesting.  I would be happy to share my research and photo in exchange for any info you may have.