1 Reply Latest reply on May 2, 2019 1:35 PM by Rebecca Collier

    Follow-up question Re: Squire Coffey

    Claudia Goodman Newbie

      Thank You for your standard replies, but I was looking for suggestions that would help me look outside the box of "normal places to research". I realize there are no BMD's before the 1900's. I should have included the places I have already searched.

       

      Places I have checked:

      North Carolina's websites, Histories, Vital Records. Including in and around the counties I have knowledge of this family being in. I have even looked for books on Amazon that might contain Squire Coffey's name. (I found some Civil War stuff on his son Smith W Coffey, but they don't mention his parents.)

      Find A Grave

      Ancestry.com,

      Family search,

      Find My Past,

      Newspapers.com/NewspaperArchive/News Library/GenealogyBank

      The National Archives (that's how I got here)

      Google Search

      Yahoo Search

      Yippy.com

       

      I have even checked other people's trees for their sources and 98% have copied their info from other trees! The remaining 2% do not even show a source for their work.

       

      Any ideas for where else to look for info or a Probate or Will?

      Thank You for the help.

      Claudia

        • Re: Follow-up question Re: Squire Coffey
          Rebecca Collier Ranger

          Dear Ms. Goodman,

           

          Thank you for posting your follow-up request on History Hub!

           

          In your original post, you mentioned Burke and Wautaga Counties. Several sources indicate that Burke County had many of its early court records destroyed by an 1865 fire.  Due to the small quantity of remaining estate and will records, it may be worthwhile to speak directly with someone familiar with their county’s genealogical records such as the North Carolina Room at the Morgantown Public Library (telephone: 828-764-9266). They have staff and volunteers who will respond to genealogical queries about county records. 

           

          For both Burke and Wautaga Counties, we suggest that you reach out and work directly with a staff member at the North Carolina State Archives especially since their website notes that only selected county materials are posted online. The NCSA staff should be able to indicate what else is available.

           

          We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

           

          [Information provided by Elizabeth Burnes, Subject Matter Expert]

           

          2 of 2 people found this helpful