1 Reply Latest reply on May 2, 2019 9:47 AM by Rebecca Collier

WW I Draft Registration Cards for IA 3?

I'm looking for the WWI military records of my grandfather Roy E Hensley from Exira, Iowa.  On the site, it indicates it would be under IA 3 but I can't seem to click on it.  How do I obtain his records?  I don't really understand how this website works.

Thank you
      Michelle

• Re: WW I Draft Registration Cards for IA 3?
          Rebecca Collier Ranger

Dear Ms. Hensley,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We tried to recreate your search using the National Archives Catalog, ancestry.com, and fold3 but were unable to locate a WWI Draft Registration Card for Roy E. Hensley that has “IA 3” on it. “IA3” may be a Classification of the Selective Service. A 254-page book that was published by the Government Printing Office in 1918 titled “Selective Service Regulations Prescribed by the President Under the Authority Vested in Him by the Terms of the Selective Service Law [Act of Congress Approved May 18, 1917, With Supplementary and Amendatory Acts and Resolutions]” includes general rules and regulations of the Selective Service that explain classifications, selections, mobilizations, physical examinations, disbursements, forms, and statutes. The book is part of a series titled Final Report of Provost Marshal General on the Operations of the Selective Service System, and Selective Service Regulations, 1917 - 1919 in the Records of the Selective Service System (World War I), 1917 - 1939 (Record Group 163) that is in the custody of the National Archives at St. Louis (RL-SL). It also is available in digital form by the HathiTrust Digital Library.

The WWI Draft Registration Cards, 1917 - 1918 (including the 4th registration) are in the custody of the National Archives at Atlanta (RE-AT), 5780 Jonesboro Road, Morrow, GA 30260. For access and/or copies of the cards, please contact RE-AT via email at altanta.archives@nara.gov.

In addition, we located records in ancestry.com for a Roy Hensley or Roy E. Hensley from Exira, Iowa in the 1900 Census; 1920 Census; 1940 Census; 1905 Iowa State Census; Iowa State Census Collection for 1836-1925; WWII Draft cards; and a U.S. Army Transportation Service passenger list for 1910-1939 that showed he was in Truck Company #2, 1st Corps Artillery Park as a Sergeant with a service number 1877164 returning from France in 1919. Since ancestry.com charges a fee, you may wish to view these records online at one NARA's facilities for free via ALIC. For the nearest NARA location, please consult our web page at https://www.archives.gov/locations/.

Many of these records that were located above are from series that are in the custody of various National Archives facilities but the digital images are not yet available in the Catalog.

We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

2 people found this helpful