3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 26, 2019 1:53 PM by Lauren Algee

Printed poetry formatting

Sharon McKinley Adventurer

Hi, folks!

so of COURSE I had to check out Walt Whitman. What I got was some proofs for printed poems, and some odd formatting:

https://crowd.loc.gov/campaigns/walt-whitman/poetry/mss1863000775/mss1863000775-3/

in the third poem, Fables, is this:

The daring plots of the poets--the elder and newer re-

ligions;

Since this is poetry, I left that break in "religions," because they really meant to have a line break there. But for our purposes of readability, that may be the wrong way to go. Any rules on how to deal with this? Should I go back and join up that word?

Thanks,

Sharon

• Re: Printed poetry formatting
          Melissa Himes Adventurer

I would make religions one word.  It looks more like a full justification issue, rather than the need for a hyphenated word.  There is a rule: 

"The exception to preserving line breaks is where words are broken over two lines or two pages. When the word is broken over two lines on the same page, type the word on the first line that it appears. In the case of a word that breaks across two pages, transcribe it on both pages.

• Example: Write library rather than li-brary, kitten rather than kit-ten."
              Sharon McKinley Adventurer

Melissa;

Ah, I was assuming (should never do that) that as this is poetry, that was the intended layout on the page. It may well be the lack of room on a small page, though. I was wondering why there was that weird hyphen. I get it! Will go back and change that. It would be interesting to see the manuscript version and see if all the lines were carried out to the end. In the mean time, I'm leaving the rest of the odd breaks, as they match the layout.

Thanks,
              Sharon

Lauren Algee Adventurer

Chiming in to say that I concur with Melissa and would not break the word.

It's nice to see how the transcription instructions are holding up so far with the introduction of the Whitman campaign. We are hoping that most of the advice we have devised will work well for new types of materials, like poems, but are eager to continue to find gaps, exceptions, and examples that will help us to continue to improve!