1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 29, 2019 9:01 AM by Rebecca Collier

    Uncles military history


      I am researching my uncles military history but have come to a dead end. His name is Ernest Mjelde, born 6--11-1917 in Mass. The little info I know is this:  he enlisted 10-21-1937 and was discharged3-26-1940, he re enlisted 6-10-1940 and was discharged 9-7-1943.  I believe he was a sergeant in the army, possibly an engineer. I don't think he left the USA and wonder why he was discharged before the war ended. He was married but never had any children, so that is no help.  Any information you could give me will be helpful.


      thank you


        • Re: Uncles military history
          Rebecca Collier Guide

          Dear Ms. Small,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          The information you seek would be in his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for those who served in the U.S. Army and who were separated from the service prior to 1957 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002.


          We hope this is helpful.


          1 person found this helpful