2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 26, 2019 7:59 AM by Rebecca Collier

My Dad was the 1st US Officer on Utah Beach.

We, his children, have 6 original typed orders that we are missing pages 5 and 6 for. They are marked "Top Secret BIGOT. copy no.48 (of 50 copies), Rog. No. NE-111. Dated 14 May 1944. FO#1."

Where could we look to find missing pages even if not original?

John Paul

• Re: My Dad was the 1st US Officer on Utah Beach.
          joan stachnik Scout

HI John, have you tried searching the CARL Library (Ike Skeleton Combined Arms Research Digital Library)? It has a large collection of digital copies of World War II documents, including field orders and after action reports.  Hope this of some help. joan

1 person found this helpful
          • Re: My Dad was the 1st US Officer on Utah Beach.
            Rebecca Collier Ranger

Dear Mr. Paul,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

Since the 2nd Battalion, 8th Infantry Regiment, 4th Infantry Division was the first U.S. Army unit on Utah Beach during D-Day, we searched the World War II Operations Reports, 1940-1948 in the Records of the Adjutant General's Office, 1905-1981 (Record Group 407) and located field orders of the 8th Infantry Regiment [File # 304-INF(8)-3.9] that referred to Field Order # 1 of the 4th Infantry Division dated 14 May 1944 [File # 304-3.9 May 1944]. This may be the document you seek.

For access to and/or copies of these field orders, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov. Please attach a scanned copy of the first page of your document to the email in order to help with verification.

We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

2 people found this helpful