1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 25, 2019 3:24 PM by Rebecca Collier

Seeking records on grandfather

I am looking for the date of birth, date of death, reason of death and place where he lived of my grandfather Richard Gates Harper, a WWII veteran, survivor. He was stationed at some point at the Panama Canal where he met my grandmother Daissy Alvarado and they had 2 children: my uncle, Ronald Harper Alvarado, a surviving Vietnam veteran and my mother, Marlene Harper Alvarado. My grandmother died in 1945 when her husband, Richard, was at war and he never returned to claim his children. Ronald met him but Ronald is now dead. I need to find his date of birth, death, reason of death and where he lived for my Genealogy tree. Thank you

• Re: Seeking records on grandfather
          Rebecca Collier Ranger

Dear Ms. Harper,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located series titled Records of Births, 1929 - 1950; Records of Deaths, 1905 - 1949; and Marriage Licenses, 1904 - 1979 in the Records of the Panama Canal, 1848-1999 (Record Group 185). For access to and/or copies of these records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov.

Your grandfather’s Official Military Personnel File (OMPF) during his service in the U.S. Army is in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

2 people found this helpful