1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 24, 2019 11:20 AM by Rebecca Collier

    Seeking official photograph of father-in-law at Basic Training


      I am looking for my father-in-law's official portrait picture of him from when he graduated from basic Camp before he entered the Korean War. Where do I begin this search?

        • Re: Seeking official photograph of father-in-law at Basic Training
          Rebecca Collier Ranger

          Dear Ms. Harrell,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          Although there may be group photographs intermingled with textual records of the units, they are not considered permanent records unless the photographs were taken by the Army Signal Corps or other official military photographers usually for publicity. Photographs considered permanent records are part of the photograph collections in the custody of the National Archives at College Park - Still Pictures (RDSS). Please contact RDSS via email at stillpix@nara.gov.


          Sometimes, the instructors of a training facility paid for a civilian photographer to come to the base to take pictures, These photographs sometimes are filed in the records of the unit but oftentimes they are just distributed to the individual members with no permanent copy kept.


          We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

          1 person found this helpful