1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 25, 2019 11:47 AM by Rebecca Collier

Murder/Court Martial Investigations

Samantha Rife Newbie

Hello:

I am looking to find the investigation documents for two soldiers in the 366th Infantry who were shot and killed during training in the US in 1943. Their information is below:

1. On March 6, 1943, 2:30 am, 2nd Lt Elmer Eugene Best, Co. K, 366th Infantry, O-1291393, died at the Station Hospital, Fort Devens, MA from ‘abscess, acute, cerebral, right front region’.  He had been shot in the head on Thursday, February 4th. A newspaper article reports that ‘A board of officers has been appointed to determine the exact circumstances …’  At the time of the shooting, the 366th was under the command of the First Service Command in Boston, MA. 

2. The second incident was at Camp A.P. Hill Military Reservation in Va.  2 Lt Willard L Savoy O-385611 of the 3rd Battalion Headquarters Company 366th was shot by another soldier on October, 28th, 1943.  I have been unable to locate any official information about this other than an entry that he went to the hospital in the morning report and a confirming article in a newspaper with little information.  It is difficult to believe that no official action was taken, so I am guessing that a court martial took place, but I have been unable to identify one.  My only suspect from circumstantial information is Pvt Samuel J. Duckett Jr, 32085028, also of the 3rdBn Hq Co.  This may only be coincidence. 

I have checked regimental, Division, and First Service Command records and have been unable to find any reference to these incidents, nor any official investigation reports.

Any assistance as to where they may be located would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Samantha Rife

• Re: Murder/Court Martial Investigations
          Rebecca Collier Ranger

Dear Ms. Rife,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We also searched the records of the First Service Command, Camp A.P. Hill, Fort Devens, and the Army Inspector General but were unable to locate any information pertaining to these two incidents.

The investigations may be part of the general courts-martial (GCM) records. U.S. Army GCM  records from 1917 to 1976 are in the custody of the National Archives at St. Louis, ATTN: RL-SL, P.O. Box 38757, St. Louis, MO 63138-1002. Please contact them for access to these records. Their email address is stl.archives@nara.gov

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

1 of 1 people found this helpful