1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 23, 2019 3:15 PM by Rebecca Collier

Seeking records on Great-Grandmother

Lisa Rhodes Newbie

I need help identifying my paternal great grandmother.  Here is the information I have been given about her.  Her name was listed as Doris Crane.  She was said to have been born in England in 1906. She died in San Francisco in 1934.  I was told she came to the US in 1920, however I can't find any immigration information about her.  I have no other family information.  My great grandfather was in the navy during WWI, and i don't know if he met my great grandmother in England and brought her back or if she came alone or with family.  I don't even know if they were legally married as I can't find any marriage records.  There is another Doris Crane in San Francisco at the time my great grandmother was there who was a socialite and had a ship named after her.  They are not related. If you can help I'd be grateful.  I'm starting to think she changed her name,  or was one of the lost children of England, who came to Canada as an indentured servant and escaped....

• Re: Seeking records on Great-Grandmother
          Rebecca Collier Ranger

Dear Ms. Rhodes,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located a series titled Petitions for Naturalization, 10/23/1903 - 9/17/1991 of the U.S. District Court for the Southern (San Francisco) Division of the Northern District of California. The information you seek maybe in these records that are in the custody of the National Archives at San Francisco (RW-SB). For access to and/or copies of these records, please contact RW-SB via email at sanbruno.archives@nara.gov

We also conducted a search of ancestry.com that may include the file you seek if her married name was Doris Thompson.  There are some records on ancestry.com from England (census and baptism records) that provide additional biographical information as well. You may view these records online at one NARA's facilities for free via ALIC. For the nearest NARA location, please consult our web page at https://www.archives.gov/locations/. Also, some of the images from ancestry.com are available for free on Family Search at https://www.familysearch.org/en/.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

[Information provided by Elizabeth Burnes, Subject Matter Expert]

1 person found this helpful