2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 17, 2019 2:36 PM by Rebecca Collier

Military Police in Korea

Dan Murphy Newbie

My uncle had a stroke. He is in hospital, and maybe not doing well. They cannot do MRI as they say there is metal in his head/brain. I am his nephew, so not direct relative. However, if you tell me what to do, I can forward info to his kids. If this helps, what I know is William Albert Murphy, Jr. Korean war, Military Police (from what I know, he mostly guarded the base). Please help (or tell us next steps) as to how to get some records either about the metal, or in general about what he did while there.

• Re: Military Police in Korea
          Elliot Schneider Scout

Dan,

Do you know or does the family know if he ever received care from the VA Hospital or ever filed a claim for service connected disabilities from his brain injury? If so, you may want to reach out to them to obtain his medical history as well.

Elliot Schneider

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • Re: Military Police in Korea
            Rebecca Collier Pioneer

Dear Mr. Murphy,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

Official Military Personnel Files (OMPFs) for those who served in the U.S. Army who were separated from the service prior to 1955 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. 

If you are just seeking medical reports, individual medical reports of veterans who left the Army prior to October 16, 1992  are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. Please complete a NA Form 13042 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002.

We hope this is helpful.

1 of 1 people found this helpful