1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 14, 2019 10:00 AM by Rebecca Collier

Seeking marriage/birth/divorce certificates to help solve questions

Nikki Riley Newbie

I'm looking for: marriage/birth/divorce certificates to help solve questions.These all seem to fall before or after the census' & then they don't match up on a next census.

My grandfather: Oliver Ellsworth Patterson born 25 Jun 1902, Oklahoma. My grandmother: Jewell Srean Sillaway born 29 Mar 1906 Pawhuska, Oklahoma. Supposedly, they married 3 Dec 1921 in Oklahoma. Had two children -- 1st child Alberta Marie Patterson born 25 Jun 1923 Pawhuska, Oklahoma. 2nd child - - Patterson born 23 Dec 1924. Written in Family Bible as (Jewell Nevada Ellen) then written over as Peggy Lou.

I have found a Marriage Record for: Oliver E Patterson then 25 to Dovey Pruitt age 18, 2 July 1927. Supposedly, she then married 13 Aug 1927 in California. On 1930 census Tulsa, Oklahoma April 8th, the 2 girls are listed as Cline (w/ the wrong year of birth)

I've found no marriage/birth/divorce certificates to actually prove any of these are true. Can anyone help us (our family) who are looking?

• Re: Seeking marriage/birth/divorce certificates to help solve questions
          Rebecca Collier Ranger

Dear Ms. Riley,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We located birth entries for Alberta, Peggy, and Oliver on the Oklahoma vital records site: https://ok2explore.health.ok.gov/.  The index only contains basic details for each person. You  may wish to order a copy of the birth certificates for each individual to confirm the parents listed.

For marriage applications/certificate and divorce decrees, please contact the courthouses in the counties where Oliver Patterson resided.  The county courthouses should have all the documentation required to prove the marriages and divorces in question.

We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

[Information provided by Elizabeth Burnes, Subject Matter Expert]

2 of 2 people found this helpful