13 Replies Latest reply on Apr 29, 2019 1:19 PM by suzanne piecuch

Don't Know What To Do With This Page

Henry Rosenberg Adventurer

I came across this page. My inclination is to redo it without all of the names in the margin but I am not sure. For the moderators, what would be the best way to deal with this page? I tend to transcribe them with the letterhead and address but tend not to go to the trouble of including all names as was done. I could place the text below that if you recommend. Let me know.

Thanks, Henry

• Re: Don't Know What To Do With This Page
          Melissa Himes Adventurer

I would redo the page and put all the names in order with their proper headers.  For example, Officers:  George W Coleman, President Ford Hall Forum, Boston, Mass.; Stephen S. Wise, 1st Vice-President, Free Synagogue Forum, New York; ... Then Directors, the Advisory Committee with their names and information.    Formatting to match the document is not as important as making sure everything is transcribed and searchable.  

The instructions for Crowd include:  Please transcribe letterhead, including names, places, and any words that are in the letterhead.

Lauren Algee Adventurer

This is not an area where we previously had clear instructions, but as Melissa Himes points out, we do now! The recent update to our "How to Transcribe" page clarifies that we do want you to transcribe letterheads. This is because they so often contain really rich information about people, places, and organizations that researchers may be searching for. Imagine if you were a genealogical researcher whose ancestor was in that list of Directors - how amazing to turn them up in a Library of Congress search! Or a historian trying to determine the overlap of membership between this organization and another.

I also agree with Melissa's inclination to ignore formatting to keep the letterhead and letter information in the order in which you would read. That is my recommendation to all letterhead transcribers. However, as a reviewer, I think you could approve this item if it includes no other transcription errors.  While we don't want you to spend time and energy on formatting, it ultimately won't hurt our primary goal of enhancing discovery through keyword search. Though the spacing may create challenges for accessibility technologies like screen readers which we are also hoping to serve with our transcriptions.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                Henry Rosenberg Adventurer

I went back and redid the pages(there were 2). The text was unusable as it was mixed in with the names in the left column. I always include the letterhead because without it you will not know where the letter came from.

suzanne piecuch Adventurer

Hi Henry, Lauren, Melissa....

Reading the discussions about letterheads, I wonder if it wouldn't be worth coming up with a kind of flag (I suppose one can always tag it) for pre-printed stationery elements so others could easily find and copy/paste the info instead of retyping.

I am not sure how frequently letters appear on the same stationery, so maybe my suggestion is irrelevant.... And, too, people would have to know to look for it. Kindof like a template, perhaps.

Suz.

1 of 1 people found this helpful