2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 20, 2019 11:18 PM by T G

1830 US Federal Census

Mark O'Dell Newbie

I found a poor Federal Census image and I am wondering if there is a way to find a better image or the original. Explanation:

I am using the digital image on ancestry.com that is digitized from NARAs microfilm images. In an 1830 US Federal Census image, the second page image has a dark shadow near the binding that blocks several columns from view. I am wondering if there is a way to go back and get a better image of this page. The columns in question report the amount of slaves owned in the households for a district that I am researching.

Thank you for any insight on whether a solution is possible.

Thank you,

Mark O'Dell

• Re: 1830 US Federal Census
          Rebecca Collier Ranger

Dear Mr. O’Dell,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the Population Schedules for the 1830 Census. It was microfilmed as National Archives Microfilm Publication No. M19 and is available for viewing at one NARA's facilities. For the nearest NARA location, please consult our web page at https://www.archives.gov/locations/. The staff may be able to assist you in deciphering the information on the pages you are viewing. The original volume is located at the National Archives at Washington, DC (RDT1). Please contact RDT1 via email at archives1reference@nara.gov with your request.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

2 of 2 people found this helpful
          • Re: 1830 US Federal Census
            T G Newbie

You could try the copy on archive.org or familysearch.org. If the shadow doesn't cover the information completely but just makes it hard to see, it might be possible to use an image editing software and adjust contrast, threshold, etc to make it more visible. You could also adjust contrast and brightness if you view the microfilm at the library. Are you looking for the number of slaves owned by a particular family or the district as a whole? If it's for the whole district, you can try looking for a secondary source where someone has already tabulated the number of slaves in your district. Good luck!

1 of 1 people found this helpful