1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 17, 2019 1:07 PM by Rebecca Collier

Native American Heritage Census Records

Stephanie Wingfield Newbie

I am a descendant of Suzannah Willetts (Willets). I am told that her information can be found on Fed. Census 1880; Cherokee Film #0573868; Hester Roll-595; Baker Roll-22. I do not know what that means exactly. She lived her whole life in Town Creek, Brunswick, North Carolina. She was part of the Waccamaw tribe. Could you please help me locate this record?

• Re: Native American Heritage Census Records
          Rebecca Collier Ranger

Dear Ms. Wingfield,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We were unable to determine which microfilm the Cherokee film number provided came from. Please check the source of the number and include that information in your reply.

The Hester roll was compiled from 1883-1884 by Joseph Hester, of the Eastern Cherokee who remained in the east, primarily North Carolina, Tennessee, Georgia, and Alabama. We checked the roll for #595 but that number belongs to a Rachel Nat-Sih-Lih. We searched the roll and located a Susannah Kell, who was 16, with Roll No. 2602.

The Baker Rolls were compiled in the late 1920's after a 1924 law establishing the Eastern Cherokee Commission, and the information was pulled from previous censuses and records of the Eastern Cherokee. Application No. 22 belongs to Ever Adams and Microfilm Roll No. 22 includes applicants with surnames starting with H. NARA staff made an index of the names on the rolls.

We were unable to locate Suzannah in the 1880 census. It is possible that her information was part of the Eastern Cherokee records. Since the Waccamaw were never administered by the Bureau of Indian Affairs and were not federally recognized, they may be included in the records through another tribe.

We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

[Information provided by Cody White, Subject Matter Expert]

2 of 2 people found this helpful