2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 26, 2019 12:37 PM by sfcbabcock

Temporary Proof of Service Needed

I would like proof that I was in the U.S. Marines for 6 years and is there a way to get temporary proof until I receive my DD214?

Thank you for any help in advance.

• Re: Temporary Proof of Service Needed
          Rebecca Collier Ranger

Dear Mr. Craig,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

It depends on when you left the Marines. Recently separated veterans may be able to find their records through the joint Department of Veterans Affairs and Department of Defense eBenefits Portal. Otherwise, your Official Military Personnel File (OMPF) is in the custody of Headquarters, U.S. Marine Corps, Manpower Management Support Branch (MMRP-10), 2008 Elliot Road, Quantico, VA 22134-5030. The website is https://www.manpower.usmc.mil/webcenter/portal/MF_MPS.

We hope this information is helpful.

1 person found this helpful
          • Re: Temporary Proof of Service Needed

Check with your nearest accredited County Veterans Service Officer (local County Government)  or accredited VSO Rep as they may have access to the Servicemembers Civil Service Act (SCRA) website.  As a CVSO I have used this report as verification of service to get veterans into VA care.

Also you should check with the state and county that was listed as your Home Of Record, where you lived when you entered service, since your branch of service likely sent a copy to the HOR Custodian.  Again a CVSO/VSO can get you a certified copy much quicker than the Archive and for free, if you request it they may charge you.

1 person found this helpful