3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 24, 2019 1:54 PM by Rebecca Collier

Seeking Military Records of Father

ROBERT SPRAGUE Newbie

I was hoping you can help me find the records for Dad's Military service during WWII.  My Dad has passed away and he told us very little about the war. You can see he reported for service Sept 30, 1942, then there is a picture of him in Camp Haan. He went to I think the other Camp in Indiana(?) before he shipped overseas.  He landed in Le Haver, France in 1944 and I have a landing craft picture he took with them in it. Then went to Reims, France and did some service in France during WWII.  I am not sure if that was in Paris, France or not.  He said all the top Generals were there?

I have tried some of the other websites with no real luck. If this is the wrong department could you follow this request to the right one?  His name is Norman Morton Sprague Born Dec. 29, 1920 in Placentia, CA.

Thank you,

Robert Sprague

• Re: Seeking Military Records of Father
          Rebecca Collier Ranger

Dear Mr. Sprague,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

Official Military Personnel Files (OMPFs) and individual medical reports for men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service prior to 1955 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

3 of 3 people found this helpful