1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 16, 2019 11:53 AM by Rebecca Collier

    Seeking family of John W Weatherford (WWII)


      I found a wristwatch in the U.K. inscribed with J.W.W. 38390228 . Looking at USA military records, John William Weatherford (service number 38390228), he was born in 1923, enlisted in 1943, aged 20 but John William Weatherford, 35, of Houston, Texas, formerly of Alexandria, died in a  Houston hospital.


      His wife has also died but there could be family members still alive? His two sons, Johnny and Jimmy of Houston and his parents were Mr. and Mrs. James W. Weatherford of Pineville.


      My question is on his grave site his unit is engraved --  LA TEC 4 201 Ord. Depot Co. WW II -- which I  guess his rank was " TEC 4"  but his unit I cannot find.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

        • Re: Seeking family of John W Weatherford (WWII)
          Rebecca Collier Ranger

          Dear Mr. Farrall,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          We searched the World War II Operations Reports, 1940-1948 in the Records of the Adjutant General's Office, 1905-1981 (Record Group 407) and located historical records for June to December 1944 and February to November 1945 of the 201st Ordnance Depot Company. For access to and/or copies of these records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov.


          Copies of most of the monthly rosters from 1912-43 and 1947-59 for Army units are in the custody of the National Archives in St. Louis, MO. Please contact them for access to these records via email at stl.archives@nara.gov or by snail mail at the National Archives at St. Louis (RL-SL), P.O. Box 38757, St. Louis, MO  63138-0757. Rosters for units serving in World War II from 1944-46 were destroyed in accordance with Army disposition authorities.


          Official Military Personnel Files (OMPFs) and individual medical reports for men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service prior to 1955 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002.


          If he died while he was in the service, then we suggest you request a copy of his Individual Deceased Personnel File (IDPF). For WWII-1976, the National Archives at St. Louis (RL-SL) currently holds the Army Individual Deceased Personnel Files for men with surnames A-L. They have not yet received the records of veterans with surnames M-Z. In order to request those records please write to U.S. Army Human Resources Command, Casualty & Memorial Affairs Operations Division, ATTN: AHRC-PDC, 1600 Spearhead Division Avenue, Department 450, Fort Knox, KY 40122-5405.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!


          1 person found this helpful