1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 8, 2019 2:39 PM by Rebecca Collier

Native Ancestry

Vincent Magallon Newbie

I'm currently working on getting enrolled with the Tohono Odham nation in Arizona

My great grandmother is Altagracia Carmelo Alcorcha

Birthdate i believe is 1887

Date of death is 3/25/1939

I'm needing census records if any. I'm told she was born in Pitiquito Sonora Mexico. But i cannot confirm that for sure, im also hoping to get her mother and father's names

Any information would be greatful. I have her death certificate  but it doesn't state where she was born. Or who her parents were.

• Re: Native Ancestry
          Rebecca Collier Ranger

Dear Mr. Magallon,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

In the BIA records, the Tohono O’odham are referred to as the Papago. Today, the tribe is administered by the Papago Agency but in the era of your great-grandmother, the tribe would have fallen under the Pima Agency, Sells Agency, and San Xavier Agency, at various times. The earliest census from any of those do date back to 1887 and are organized by agencies, therefore, please use these names to narrow your search.

The National Archives at Riverside (RW-RS) has custody of the records for the BIA agencies listed above as well. Please contact RW-RS via email at riverside.archives@nara.gov.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

[Information provided by Cody White, Subject Matter Expert]

1 person found this helpful