3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 4, 2019 2:30 PM by karen78616

Seeking photo of father-in-law when he won award

Hi, I'm trying to locate a photo of my 81 yr old father-in-law that was taken when he won a marksmanship award in NC while first enlisted in the Army.

• Re: Seeking photo of father-in-law when he won award
          Rebecca Collier Ranger

Dear Ms. Vaughan,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

Sometimes, the officers of a unit or crew paid for a photographer to come to their base to take pictures, These photographs sometimes were filed in the records of the unit or crew but oftentimes they were just distributed to the individual members with no permanent copy kept.

Photographs are not considered permanent records unless they were taken by the Army Signal Corps or other official military photographers usually for publicity. The photographs that were considered permanent records are part of the photograph collections that are in the custody of the National Archives at College Park - Still Pictures (RDSS). Please contact RDSS via email at stillpix@nara.gov.

We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

3 people found this helpful

Ms .Vaughan,

I was an Army photographic lab technician and still photographer from 1967-1978. I taught at the Army/Air Force Photo School in Denver. Under the regulations that I trained with, photographs of awards of marksmanship badges or trophies weren't considered as historical events. They were nicknamed "grip and grins".   Copies may have been made for your grandfather at the time, but the negatives were probably destroyed about 5 years after the event. The negatives wouldn't have been sent for permanent storage.   Sorry for the bad news.

Gary Wysocki, US Army (Retired)

1 person found this helpful

Hi thank you for the information.  I figured this was a long shot.  My father in law got the award early in his career and held the marksmanship record at the time while stationed out in NC.  So said the picture was taken with a general at the time during a ceremony.  Over the years his mom had misplaced the photo.  I was searching only because I thought what a nice Father's Day gift it would be for him from my husband, his son.  Thank you again!