1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 15, 2019 1:09 PM by Rebecca Collier

Signal Corps - Battle of the Bulge

Richard Pagano Newbie

I'm interested in any information regarding the 820th Tank Destroyer Bn. during the Battle of the Bulge.  I have some of their AARs. My father-in-law was in the Signal Corps but I believe he was assigned to the 820th.  He doesn't show up on any duty rosters.  Are there separate records for the Signal Corps during WW II?

• Re: Signal Corps - Battle of the Bulge
          Rebecca Collier Ranger

Dear Mr. Pagano,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the World War II Operations Reports, 1940-1948 in the Records of the Adjutant General's Office, 1905-1981 (Record Group 407) and located a history from 25 June 1942 to 6 September 1945; an after action report for December 1944; and general orders for 1942-1945 of the 820th Tank Destroyer Battalion. We also located reports of Companies A, B, C, and Headquarters of the 820th for December 1944 as well as after action battle reports of the 1st and 2nds Reconnaissance Platoons for December 1944. For access to and/or copies of these records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov.

The 820th was a separate unit and would not have a Signal Corps component. It is possible that your father-in-law was a radioman or other communications person for the 820th. For more information about the SIgnal Corps units during WWII, please consult the U.S. Army in WWII: The Technical Services, especially the three volumes on the Signal Corps.

Copies of most of the monthly rosters from 1912-43 and 1947-59 for Army units are in the custody of the National Archives in St. Louis, MO. Please contact them for access to these records via email at stl.archives@nara.gov or by snail mail at the National Archives at St. Louis (RL-SL), P.O. Box 38757, St. Louis, MO  63138-0757. Rosters for units serving in World War II from 1944-46 were destroyed in accordance with Army disposition authorities.

We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

1 of 1 people found this helpful