1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 1, 2019 10:16 AM by Rebecca Collier

    Searching for US Army Record for 1902


      I am seeking to find out information regarding what happened to my great grandfather Thomas P Melvin.  He apparently entered the military from the Oklahoma Territory in 1902.  I'm trying to determine if he is shown as passing away while in the military and how that may have happened.  I also wish to find out who the members of his regiment were at the time.  The record that has put me on this hunt is U.S. Army, Register of Enlistments, 1798-1914,  1901 May - 1902 L-Z, Page 163, entry number 1807 for Thomas P Melvin


      I tried to ask for this record online through the National Archives but there was no way to show he entered from Oklahoma or the territory of Oklahoma in the required field.

        • Re: Searching for US Army Record for 1902
          Rebecca Collier Ranger

          Dear Mr. Hintz,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          If your great-grandfather left the U.S. Army prior to November 1912, there may be records pertaining to his service at the National Archives at Washington, DC (RDT1). Please contact RDT1 using their email address.


          Official Military Personnel Files (OMPFs) and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and prior to 1955 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. 


          We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!


          1 person found this helpful