1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 27, 2019 2:55 PM by Rebecca Collier

Anderson in Connecticut

Wendy Marshall Newbie

i am looking for information on my maternal grandfather, Adolf (Adolph) A. Anderson (Andersen, Andersson) and his siblings and parents. Adolf was born on 9 September 1898 in Connecticut. He had a twin sister named Anna and an older (oldest?) sister named Nellie. There may have been thirteen or seven siblings. Parents may have been born in Sweden. Due to some event in their lives, the siblings were separated. My grandfather was a “boarder” in Sharon, Connecticut in the 1910 census. His sister, Anna, was a “boarder” in Dutchess County, New York in the same census. Adolf married Helen Garbaden in April of 1921 and had two children Adolf John (Jack) and Barbara Anderson Hall. Adolf died in Sharon, Connecticut on 17 December 1959.  I have searched on Ancestry and Family Search but can find nothing definitive before the 1910 census. Any suggestions or help is appreciated.

• Re: Anderson in Connecticut
          Rebecca Collier Pioneer

Dear Ms. Marshall,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the series Population Schedules for the 1900 Census, 1910, 1920, & 1930  but were unable to locate digital images for Sharon, Litchfield County, CT. 

On Ancestry.com, we were able to locate an Orlof Andersen as a one-year old with a one-year old sister, Annie, born on 9 September 1898 in Connecticut in the 1900 US Census; and an Adolf Anderson as a boarder in the 1910 Census; as a laborer in the 1920 Census; married to Helen in the 1930 Census with 1 child; and also in the 1940 Census with wife, Helen, and 2 children. Since Ancestry.com charges for their service, you may view these records online at one of NARA’s facilities for free. For the nearest NARA location, please consult our web page at https://www.archives.gov/locations/.

Other resources that may be useful are How to Find Connecticut Birth Records using FamilySearch.org (a free service) and the Connecticut Society of Genealogists, Inc..

We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

[Information provided by Elizabeth Burnes, Subject Matter Expert]