1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 28, 2019 1:41 PM by Rebecca Collier

U.S. Court of Claims records re award to Eastern Cherokees

David Stringer Newbie

U.S. Court of Claims records - Applications to share in award of Eastern Cherokees. This is an inquiry regarding archived records held by NARA of Case 23214 and related records of the U.S. Court of Claims. It seems Commissioner Miller submitted a supplemental roll and report January 5, 1910, which was subsequently approved by the Court aforesaid on March 15, 1910.

My query is in regards to the aforementioned supplemental report on exceptions submitted by Miller January 5, 1910; In said report, I found my family  names listed as applicants for their share of the settlement due the Eastern Cherokee. They applied out of Talequah, Oklahoma.

The record states the names of the following persons:

Ida Gaskins

John Gaskins

They are listed as rejected and as having "FILED" applications on October 5, 1909. Also they are listed as having NO "Application Number".

*Applications were FILED with the Interior department's Office of Indian Affairs until April 29, 1907; after that date applications were filed directly with the Court aforementioned. In consideration of the above mentioned facts, the applications in question should be within said Court records now held by NARA.

I am requesting any information regarding the location of these application(s) that were submitted and filed on the above mentioned dates. I have thus been unable to order copies of these applications from NARA as they had no application number. They were filed with the aforesaid Court and are records now held by NARA according to facts of record as well as said Court's advisement. Please advise as to how to order these filed applications of Eastern Cherokee that do not have an application number because NATF 83 REQUIRES an application number to order reproductions of Easter Cherokee Applications.

Sincerely,

David Michael

• Re: U.S. Court of Claims records re award to Eastern Cherokees
          Rebecca Collier Ranger

Dear Mr. Stringer,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located a series titled Eastern Cherokee Applications, 8/29/1906 - 5/26/1909 in the Records of the U.S. Court of Claims, 1835-1984 (Record Group 123). These records are in the custody of the National Archives at Washington, DC (RDT1). For access to and/or copies of these records, please contact RDT1 via email at archives1reference@nara.gov.

We also located 5 series pertaining to Cherokees & awards and 15 series regarding Cherokee & applications in the Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs, 1793-1999 (Record Group 75). All  of the series for awards and 8 series of the applications are in the custody of the National Archives at Fort Worth (RM-FW). For access to and/or copies of these records, please contact RM-FW via email at

ftworth.archives@nara.gov. Five series of applications are in the custody of RDT1.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

[Information provided by Cody White, Subject Matter Expert]

3 people found this helpful