3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 28, 2019 2:15 PM by Rebecca Collier

Searching for WWII records of XIX Corps in France

Searching for information regarding US Army XIX Corps action in France (August 1944).

• Re: Searching for WWII records of XIX Corps in France
          Rebecca Collier Ranger

Dear Mr. Hack,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the series World War II Operations Reports, 1940 - 1948 in the Records of the Adjutant General’s Office, 1905-1981 (Record Group 407) and located after action reports for 7 January 1944 to 30 April 1945 and 13 August 1944 of the XIX Corps.  We also located 3 series and 1 file unit of the XIX Corps during WWII in the Records of U.S. Army Operational, Tactical, and Support Organizations (World War II and Thereafter), 1917-1999 (Record Group 338). For access to and/or copies of the files in RG 407 and RG 338, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov.

We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

2 people found this helpful

Rebecca,

Thank you for your help!

Since I'm a first time participant of this community, I have some followup questions to your response.

After e-mailing my request to the above reference and subsequent accessing appropriate files, will the information be available on-line for my review?

The purpose of my initial request was to research my father's history.

My father, who served in the Germany army, was captured by American forces on August 25, 1944 in Elbeuf, France.

Based on operational maps from late August 1944, the US XIX corps captured Elbeuf.  Hence, my question to History Hub about this unit's military action.

I have since learnt the US. 28th Infantry Unit was in the Elbeuf area.  Was the U.S. 28th Infantry Unit part of the XIX Corps?

Would there be military action reports from this unit?

Your assistance would be appreciated.

Peter Hack

1 person found this helpful
                  Rebecca Collier Ranger

Dear Mr. Hack,

Thank you for posting your follow-up request on History Hub!

We searched the World War II Operations Reports, 1940 - 1948 in the Records of the Adjutant General's Office, 1905 - 1981 (Record Group 407) and located after action reports for July 1944 to 9 May 1945, a history from February 1941 to February 1945 and Unit Report #2 for August 1944 of the 28th Infantry Division. For access to and/or copies of these records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov. None of these records have been digitized and posted to NARA’s web site.

The 28th ID was attached to the XIX Corps until 28 August 1944.

We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

3 people found this helpful