1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 14, 2019 10:52 AM by Rebecca Collier

William and Mahala Baughcum

Laura Ferry Newbie

I am researching records for my great great grandparents. William W Baughcum and Mahala (possibly native american}. Both were born in South Carolina. She was born approx 1810 and he was born approx 1813. I have hit a block and can find no information on Mahala. Can anyone help?

• Re: William and Mahala Baughcum
          Rebecca Collier Ranger

Dear Ms. Ferry,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

Researching Native American genealogy within the National Archive’s holdings prior the late 19th century is difficult. During the early part of the century, the Bureau of Indian Affairs, then run out of the War Department, was only concerned with trade and then, unfortunately, removal. There were often census rolls taken during said removals but most of those occured in the 1830s and onward. The various census rolls (Indian Census, Dawes & Guion Miller) are organized by tribe and are in the custody of the National Archives at Washington, DC (RDT1). Microfilm copies exist but you would have to know the tribal affiliation, or have a good idea which one before starting. For more information, please see our website at https://www.archives.gov/research/native-americans/research-individual.

Therefore, we suggest that you continue your search using town or county records where William & Mahala lived. State records are available at the South Carolina Department of Archives and History and the South Carolina Historical Society.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

[Information provided by Cody White, Subject Matter Expert]

2 of 2 people found this helpful