1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 12, 2019 2:44 PM by Rebecca Collier

Service medical records

Alejandro Gonzales Newbie

I had a short stay (mental health) at Fort Sam Houston Army Hospital for PTSD (reaction to medical treatment). Trying to obtain records. I serviced in Vietnam on august 02, 1968 to July 31, 1969. Upon my return I suffered major PTSD reactions.  

• Re: Service medical records
          Rebecca Collier Ranger

Dear Mr. Gonzales,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

Individual medical reports for those who served in the U.S. Army after 1957 and prior to October 16, 1992 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. Or you may apply online at https://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/.

Army clinical records were maintained at Clinical Record Libraries at selected treatment facilities ,such as Brooke General Hospital, Fort Sam Houston, TX, may still be available, even if the service member's OMPF was destroyed in the 1973 fire.  Therefore, please send the name of the hospital, month (if known) and year of treatment, as well as the veteran's name and social security or service number to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. Please complete another  GSA Standard Form 180  for use in making an inquiry to that office.

We hope this information is helpful.

2 of 2 people found this helpful