3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 7, 2019 9:41 AM by geogenie

Can 1910 federal census data be downloaded?

Georgen Charnes Newbie

I'd love to have all the data from the 14 pages that were devoted to Boynton Beach Florida in a nice spreadsheet, so I can really see the whole picture of the community.

Other years are wanted as well, and I'm suspicious that earlier census for the community might be included with a nearby city.

• Re: Can 1910 federal census data be downloaded?
          Rebecca Collier Ranger

Dear Georgen Charnes,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

The 1910 U.S. Population Census is available in digital form on ancestry.com and FamilySearch.org. The images are downloadable as pdfs. Since this census was gathered prior to the advent of computers, you would to compile this spreadsheet yourself using the information gathered by the census takers.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              Georgen Charnes Newbie

The federal census data for all years has already been transcribed into a database, otherwise, it would not be searchable. 

More recent Census Bureau data is available for download through the American Factfinder Download Center (https://factfinder.census.gov/faces/nav/jsf/pages/download_center.xhtml ). Why not earlier census data?

geogenie Newbie

I suspect that the searchable databases that exist for prior censuses are proprietary to the company that created them (Ancestry, HeritageQuest, FamilySearch) and are not available for public download. They also do not necessarily transcribe every field available so the data would not be complete. The US government, as far as I know, does not have their own searchable database of every census and left the indexing up to the private sector once the Internet age hit, an improvement over the old soundex index on microfilm. The more recent census data available online do not contain personal information and have been aggregated by various census geographies for statistical purposes. Individual names are kept private for 72 years but the aggregated data is available for use now.

You can always email the companies and see what they say about sharing their index but I think the answer would be no.

1 of 1 people found this helpful