1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 6, 2019 2:43 PM by Rebecca Collier Branched from an earlier discussion.

Basic Training Information and Photos

Marie Daniely Newbie

I still have the same question as Debra Swager.  I was able to get pieces of his OMPF that revealed through the payroll file that my father had basic training at Fort Custer Michigan , as part of the Medical Training Battalion.  However, that's all I have been able to find.  I see plenty of pictures of military units on Google Images.  I don't understand why the Army did not keep all pictures of military units for historical purposes.

I also searched for Yearbooks.  You may be able to find information about your soldier if you can locate the yearbook from his basic training location.

• Re: Basic Training Information and Photos
          Rebecca Collier Ranger

Dear Ms. Daniely,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

Although there may be group photographs intermingled with textual records of the units, they are not considered permanent records unless the photographs were taken by the Army Signal Corps or other official military photographers usually for publicity. Photographs considered permanent records are part of the photograph collections in the custody of the National Archives at College Park - Still Pictures (RDSS). Please contact RDSS via email at stillpix@nara.gov.

Sometimes, the instructors of a training facility paid for a civilian photographer to come to the base to take pictures, These photographs sometimes are filed in the records of the unit but oftentimes they are just distributed to the individual members with no permanent copy kept.

We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

2 of 2 people found this helpful