14 Replies Latest reply on Mar 13, 2019 1:00 PM by joan stachnik

Location of general hospital 44 in Europe WWII?

Jean Nelson Newbie

I haven't been able to find a reference to GH 44.  It would have been near Aachen, Germany, in October of 1944.

• Re: Location of general hospital 44 in Europe WWII?
          Rebecca Collier Ranger

Dear Ms. Nelson,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

During WWII, General Hospital No. 44 was assigned to Townsville, Australia in 1944 and moved to Leyte in the Philippines in 1945. The hospital was not assigned to the Europe Theater.

We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

4 of 4 people found this helpful
              Jean Nelson Newbie

GH 44 on discharge papers would indicate "General Hospital 44", I believe.  And I have seen it listed as "France".  And know that my father was hospitalized somewhere near the French/German/Belgian border. 

I'm wondering what I'm missing here?  Could there be 2 GH 44s?  Thanks.

joan stachnik Scout

HI Ms. Nelson, from what I've read, I'm not sure anyone would have been discharged from service from a hospital overseas during WWII; if they were that severely injured I think that would have been transferred back to an army hospital in the US and released from service here. Is there any other information on your dad's separation papers, that might indicate a location of where he was released from service;  as "Place of separation" on the form? Hope this is of help, joan

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      Jean Nelson Newbie

Sorry I wasn't clear.  He was, indeed, discharged from the Army in the U.S. in 1945.  I have his place of separation (Wisconsin).  But for several months towards the end of 1944 and the beginning of 1945, he was in a hospital in Europe (France? or Belgium?)  recovering from his wounds.  If I interpret the information on his discharge papers correctly, it seems to indicate that he was in the 121st Infantry and was in "GH (General Hospital) 44".  He spent a few months in Germany after his release from the hospital before he was shipped back to the U.S. in August of 1945.  Any insights or interpretations you could lend would be most appreciated.  Thank you.  Jean

U.S

joan stachnik Scout

Hi Jean, yes that is different. My dad had a similar story, hospitalized for 3 months in England after being injured on D-Day and then returned to his unit. I'm not 100% certain, but I think that might not be General Hospital 44. It might be 121st General Hospital, with Purple Heart was awarded under General Order #17 in 1944? I know for my dad, he received his Purple Heart while in hospital (he saved the paperwork so I have the actual General Order). His separation papers read similarly (GO 6 HQ 83 GH 44); and he was in the 83d General Hospital, with his PH award under General Order 6, given in 1944.

I can't see from your photo, but what is under Item 6 (organization) on his separation papers? If you don't already know it might give his unit; although often servicemen were transferred to a different unit just before separation; or sometimes even a replacement depot.

I'm not sure what you're looking for, but I searched the Morning Reports at the St. Louis Archives for my dad's unit as well as the 83d hospital and found quite a bit of information. There is also a website on WWII military hospitals that list the various medical facilities in the ETO (https://www.med-dept.com/articles/ww2-military-hospitals-european-theater-of-operations/). It might be of value if you're just looking for a hospital location.   Hope this is of some help. joan

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                            Rebecca Collier Ranger

Dear Ms. Nelson,

Thank you for posting your follow-up requests on History Hub!

Ms. Stachnik is correct. Your father’s Purple Heart was issued under General Order No. 17 (1944) by the Headquarters, 121st General Hospital. The hospital was located in England. Unfortunately, the general orders for 121st General Hospital are incomplete and do not include GO#17 for 1944. If you could scan the entire DD-214 for us, we may be able to assist you in locating his unit’s records.

We hope this information is helpful.

3 of 3 people found this helpful