1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 4, 2019 10:26 AM by Rebecca Collier

Need to determine who served in Londonderry, Northern Ireland during 1943

Gillian Arnold Newbie

I want to find out if someone served in Londonderry, Northern Ireland  during 1943. I am trying to find my mother in laws biological father.  We have a DNA match with a 2nd or 3rd cousin, need to know which of his relatives during the war was in Northern Ireland

• Re: Need to determine who served in Londonderry, Northern Ireland during 1943
          Rebecca Collier Pioneer

Dear Ms. Arnold,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

If the person you seek was an American soldier, the U.S. Army Center of Military History has compiled documents during the period March-May 1996, in conjunction with the Ulster Historical Society from Northern Ireland, pertaining to the U.S. Army in Northern Ireland from 1941-1945. These listing may assist you in locating her biological father.

Also, requests concerning a former member of the U.S. Armed Forces who may be the father of a child born during or around the time they were stationed in (Europe, Vietnam, Korea, Japan) should be sent to the NARA's National Personnel Records Center, ATTN: Dr. Niels Zussblatt, Room 360, 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. Please complete the search form and mark the envelope "Do Not Open In Mailroom."

If the person you seek was British, we suggest you contact The National Archives of the United Kingdom, Kew, Richmond, Surrey, TW9 4DU, United Kingdom.

In addition, you may wish to write to Transatlantic Children's Enterprise (TRACE), Norma Jean Clarke-McCloud, Heron's Flight, 1H Bycullah Road, Enfield, Middlesex, EN2 8EE, England.  TRACE is an organization that tries to assist WWII war babies in the search for their fathers.

We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

3 of 3 people found this helpful