5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 11, 2019 2:02 PM by Rhonda Caywood

Seeking Passenger List 12/10/1906 arrival from Palmero to Boston

Rhonda Caywood Newbie

Pietro Caltabellotta arrived in Boston on the ship Republic on 12/10/1906 from Palermo, Italy. I am unable to find this passenger list. If you know where I might find the passenger list, I would be grateful.

• Re: Seeking Passenger List 12/10/1906 arrival from Palmero to Boston
          Rhonda Caywood Newbie

I am making a correction to Passenger List arrival from PALERMO (not palmero) to BOSTON. Arrival date was SEPTEMBER 10, 1906, not December on the S.S. Republic.

Rebecca Collier Ranger

Dear Ms. Caywood,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located 3 series pertaining to passenger lists and Boston in the Records of the Immigration and Naturalization Service, 1787- 2004 (Record Group 85). For access to and/or copies of these series, please contact the National Archives at Washington, DC (RDT1) via email at archives1reference@nara.gov.

We hope this information is helpful. Best of like with your family research!

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              joan stachnik Adventurer

Hi Rhonda, I found a 1906 passenger manifest for the SS Republic listing a Pietro Caltabellotta (from Trabia with a destination of Rochester, NY). The dates however are different; leaving Palermo 7 Nov 1906 and arriving Boston 22 Nov 1906, so not sure if this is the same person you are looking for. The full page of the manifest is available on Familysearch.org.   Hope this is of help.  joan

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  Rhonda Caywood Newbie

Hi Joan,

I have found that same copy of my grandfather's passenger list with the November date. This is what I don't understand since I don't know how the "Declaration of Intent" really works, but his declaration states: His name, address on Sunset Blvd. in Los Angeles, CA July 9th, 1928. He also states that he arrived from Palermo on the "Republic" at the port of Boston, MA. on or about the 10th day of Sept. 1906. He also states in was born in Trabia, Italy on Dec 17th, 1887.

My grandfather died Dec. 30th, 1933 in Los Angeles, Ca.

I suppose he could have made a mistake regarding his arrival date, but as I said I don't understand how the "Declaration of Intent" works. I would think there had to be some legitimate proof of his arrival in order to complete a Declaration.

And by the way, when I contacted NARA with all of the information provided to me by Rebecca, I received the nastiest response from Mr. Bryan Cheeseboro: Here is a portion of his letter.

For your search to continue,  please note that the National Archives does not do research for the public due to the high volume of records requests we receive and staff limitations.  Your best bet may be to hire a researcher in your area.  A list of researchers for hire is located on our website:

http://www.archives.gov/research/hire-help/.

Also note that NARA provides this list as a courtesy.  It is an unvetted list with no implied endorsement of any individuals or businesses.  Best of luck with your continued research.  

--

Bryan Cheeseboro
                  Archives Technician

202-357-5110

Bryan.Cheeseboro@nara.gov

National Archives & Records Administration

700 Pennsylvania Ave NW

Washington, DC 20408

Anyway, if you have a moment to help me better understand the Dec of Intent, I would be grateful.

Thank you very much for your help.

Rhonda Caywood

Rhonda Caywood Newbie

Thanks to all who assisted me with my grandfather's passenger list. I believe I have the correct list, and I am grateful to those who helped.

Now, if we could just find Henry Caywood, I would be a happy woman.